The combination of these flavors is like fireworks in your mouth… but without the pain of an actually firework. Now, I may or may not have eaten this entire bowl of sprouts for dinner… This is a no judge zone folks.. so taking your judging and stuff it
Now I know you’re probably thinking Brussels sprouts… ew.. they’re bitter. yessss, this is true… but not if you cook them the correct way. This savory combination takes that bitterness out of these sprouts and is balanced out beautifully with the additions in this recipe.
For my celiac friends – I know some of you may have issues with Blue Cheese, it does not bother me, but I found a brand that I never seem to have an issue with
For my vegan + paleo friendly friends – omit the blue cheese
Now, I had some sprouts in my fridge, and wanted to cook them so I was looking through my pin’s and found this guy. Now she calls for Walnuts, I’m not a fan of them, also she called for craisens, I did not have any so I used regular raisins, oh and the maple syrup… ya know what… never mind see below for recipe changes:
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, rinse & pat dry
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 cup crumbled Blue Cheese or Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped, Toasted Walnuts
- Fresh Cranberries for garnish
2 cups of Brussels Sprouts- cut in quarters
1/2 cup EVOO
1/4 cup of Pure Raw honey
1 tsp Garlic Powder
sea salt to taste about 1 tsp
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 cup raisens
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup slivered almonds
Her Directions with moderations:
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Cut brussels sprouts in quarters, trimming off tough white tough ends. Toss brussels sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, sea salt & pepper.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil. Place the sprouts on the baking sheet, and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of the sprouts baking, turn sprouts, and add the almonds. (her recipe calls for heating the nuts in a skillet but you can get that beautiful golden baked nut while adding them to the sprouts in the oven). Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the top of the sprouts and heat the sprouts almonds and raisins for the last 5 minutes.
- Remove brussels sprouts from the oven. Let them cool a bit. Transfer to a bowl and toss with blue cheese!
I hope you enjoy the goodness that consumes these sprouts
A special thanks to:
Now that’s what’s for pinner!