Pin fail… just… FAILLLLL
I’m sorry to dig into a fellow blogger but these were awful, nothing about this recipe worked. Part of me thinks she thought about it, or found the recipe somewhere but there is no way that she made THESE with THOSE directions and they turned out as she claims they did. The chips above were after my many attempts to fix this oh so terrible recipe. Anyway, So I saw this Pin for these microwaved sweet potato chips that were supposed to look like this:
HA! Yea-no… these must have been done in an oven or dehydrator because there is NO WAY that she did THIS recipe to make those chips…NO WAY. Here is the recipe… then following that is my bash fest.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- sea salt
- Place sweet potato slices into a large zip top bag. Pour in olive oil and seal the bag closed. Shake the bag until all of the slices are well coated. Arrange the sweet potato slices onto a microwave safe plate or tray, or paper towels and cook in the microwave for 3 – 4 minutes on the high setting, until the chips have turned lightly brown.
- Remove from the microwave and sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to air dry as they will continue to crisp as they dry.
Indeed, sweet potato chips are delicious, but with this recipe, following these exact directions, these were a soggy mess.
-First off, unless you have a gigantic microwave there is no way you’re getting all these slices of sweet potato onto one plate, so you’ll have to do this at least 3 times.
-Second, 4 minutes… 4 minutes to cook them? In no way shape or form did 4 minutes even crisp them the slightest or give them this so called light brown color that is claimed… so I added 1 minute… then another… okay fast foward now we are up to 8 minutes and I’m starting to see some drying out of the sweet potatoes so I took them out.
-And then I waited… for them to dry out… and I just realized…JUST NO. Unless I leave these out for days, there is no way they are going to turn out crispy. So I heated up some olive oil to throw them into and crisp them up a bit. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done, and not only were they just burning, but they were chewy.
There really is no helping this recipe, if you want crispy sweet potato chips, this is not the way to do it. Here is my fix, for healthy and tasty sweet potato chips. I know it takes 2 hours, but this is the proper and delicious way to cook them.
- 2 Large organic sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
- Rinse and dry your sweet potatoes thoroughly and slice them as uniformly thin as possible. Know that chips that are too thick in parts won’t crisp up all the way. Still delicious, just does not have as much of a chip crispiness.
- Toss slices in a bit of olive oil to lightly coat. Lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 2 hours, flipping chips once at halfway point to ensure even cooking. I also rotated mine for more even cooking.
- Remove once crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with sea salt… Thicker chips may feel a little tender in the middle but take them out and let them rest for 10 minutes or so to crisp up before sampling. Serve immediately.
*I recommend using organic sweet potatoes for taste & health reasons. Reasoning is because you are not peeling off the skin where pesticides can reside.
The microwaved sweet potato recipe was thanks to retrieved from Pinterest from: